The New South Wales Aboriginal Land Council’s (NSWALC) has recently opened applications for its Youth Advisory Committee (YAC) and is seeking applications from young Aboriginal people between the ages of 18 and 25.
This is a great opportunity for young Aboriginal people to be heard on a range of topics important to them, while gaining access to career advancement training and leadership development opportunities.
YAC has come to the end of its two-year-term, and applications are now open for the 2021 YAC.
NSWALC is currently seeking applications from young Aboriginal people with a passion for advocating on behalf of others, and who want to be a part of the Land Rights movement in NSW.
This is a great opportunity for young Aboriginal people to develop their leadership skills and be heard on a range of topics important to them.
The YAC is made up of nine members from each of the nine NSWALC Regions. It provides advice and recommendations to NSWALC on issues impacting young Aboriginal people, as well as developing youth-led, community-based strategies to respond to those issues.
In return, NSWALC will provide the YAC members with career advancement training and leadership development opportunities.
So far, the inaugural YAC has:
• Made key youth recommendations to the 2019 Aboriginal-specific Premier’s Priority on Education
• Provided insights of young people on Closing the Gap
• Provided advice to NSWALC on key elements of Policy and Advocacy work, and
• Developed international advocacy and shared leadership skills through attending the United Nations Expert Mechanism on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (EMRIP) in 2019.
You’ll find an information pack with more information below. Please share with young people in your community.
• NSWALC Youth Advisory Committee – Application Form
• NSWALC Youth Advisory Committee – Charter
Applications for the 2021 YAC close at 5pm on Friday 10th September 2021.
If you have any questions or comments regarding your application or the NSWALC Youth Advisory Committee itself, please contact the Strategy and Policy Unit via email@example.com or call (02) 9689 4444.